Friday, March 30, 2007

Sisterlocked Today!

It is well past 2am and I should be in bed asleep, but I am just so excited. I just got home from having my Sisterlocks installed, well...a couple of hours ago. I've been in the mirror checking them out and taking pictures for the last 90 minutes or so.









Those of you who started at the beginning of my blog know that I intended to start my locks at the end of February, so why the delay? Cold feet? Misgivings? No...Does anyone remember the song by Dionne Farris called 11th Hour? I often recall a lyric where she says, "Once you make your decision, your decision is made." Now, on the surface it seems like a simple statement and not particularly profound. But I assure you, it is deep. What can I say? If you know what she means, then you know what she means.

By the middle of February I had made up my mind to get Sisterlocks, but roughly a week before my scheduled appointment, my office had a visit from our largest client. We rolled out the red carpet and were ready to present our new products and services...and they pulled the rug out from under us. We were told that they would not be renewing our contract...After seven years with my company! My department was mid-sized (about 45 employees). Within 3 days 5 people were "let go" and within 3 weeks an additional 10. I was one of the ten.

So, if I thought I had to scrape together the money before, I was really in no position to spend hundreds of dollars on my hair once I lost my job....And I knew that natural hair would not be a problem in my casual office, but I wondered: how would it go over on interviews for a new job? Especially since I didn't know how my locks would look and behave in the beginning!

But...I had made my decision...so...I cashed in a small 401K and I got a cash advance from one of my credit cards and I got my Sisterlocks!...And I'm not sorry.

No comments: