Monday, July 16, 2007

Opinions are Like...

Ok, so now that I completed my redesign, my new mission is to revisit blogs I formerly wanted to comment on. And I find that my perspective has changed.

Three things are different.

1) I actually have Sisterlocks of my own, so many of my opinions are no longer theoretical/hypothetical. They are based on the facts of my own experience.


2) I've done done it now...So when I read comments and observations of ladies who say they wish they had or hadn't made certain choices and/or established certain habits, even though part of me goes, "Oops...um, I didn't think about that..." In most cases it doesn't matter. I've started this journey and there is no turning back.


3) I'm reading the comments more thoroughly. The first time through I concentrated mainly on the posts by the blog authors. I usually didn't read the comments unless the original poster posed a question or solicited advice or opinions.

...And I'm just amazed at the diversity of opinions (in a totally non-judgemental way).

For example, I went back and read Creyole's posts about her parts. Personally, I sort of liked the zig-zaggy parts. I thought they had character, but I completely understand all of her reasons for wanting to change them, not the least of which was wanting to get what she paid for when she decided on Sisterlocks.


One of the main differences between going to a certified consultant or trainee and going to a sistergirl around the corner with a Nappylocks tool or starting your locks with braids and other methods is the emphasis on precise parting. You aren't just paying for the pattern (because that part of the process is not so unique and really isn't a secret that cannot be very easily discovered.) You are paying for a standard that all consultants and trainees are supposed to adhere to and care about and be accountable for.

I also read this post by blackluvdmom . (This has been sitting in draft limbo for a while, but I decided to finish it and post it for real after seeing this post by dstdiva. She was a little unhappy about her parts.)

When I used to do my own two-strand twists, I never worried about precision parts all over. I did always have a straight center part and I made a few straight rows on either side of it, so it would "fall right" on top and I could neatly switch sides or twist it back. And I did continue the center part down to my nape, so that if I wanted to wear two pigtails or puffs, I could, but beyond that, I would just grab what felt like an appropriate amount of hair to make a twist and go. It already took me a minimum of three hours to do and I felt like just wasn't worth the extra time and the extra step of using clips to hold it back - especially when I was going to take it down and start over in two or three weeks.

Which I understand is one of the differences with SLs and why extremely exact parting is more important to some. You will not take them down in a few weeks. You may very well have them for the rest of your life and for a period of some years at the very least. Neatness does matter more. The parts are essential to being able to achieve certain styles. They are vital to the oft-mentioned versatility that sets SLs apart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also two-strand twisted my hair every other week and didn't really care too much about the parting b/c 1. the parting wasn't noticeable since the twists weren't pulled tight and 2. didn't have the time.

But I am extremely grateful to my Consultant for hooking me up with great parting. My only concern is combining locks, some of mine are so thin they need to be combined but does this compromise the even parting? I guess I prefer a more stable lock than a lost one....

blackrussian said...

I am sure that would have happened to me otherwise, but I am pretty sure I will not need to combine any of mine on account of them being to thin or refusing to lock.

I am not far enough along to answer your question from personal experience, which you know. But from what I've read it does compromise your parting a little, but not so much as to be problematic.

It seems to me (also going on the experiences of others) that this seems less important to people as time goes on. Most people are like you: they prefer to have a stable, healthy lock, if a choice must be made.

Aya said...

Boy oh boy, such great info. I read creyole's post from your site, and found it to be quite helpful and supportive to those with straight or unstraight parts. My loctician purposefuly layered my locks like bricks. I didn't think much of having straight parts at the time until lately. I've been questioning several things about my locks. Anywyay, I don't think I would change the partings. Having straight parts is not that big of a deal to me. The brick layer partings gives my locks a fuller look at the scalp. I've never had the "plucked chicken" look, as some describe. If I had to do it again, though,I would probably want straighter parts in the front and brick layered parts everywhere else.

Goodnapps said...

I was so ignorant about Sisterlocks when I decided to lock
that I knew nothing of how much their importance played. I didn't even think about them until my consultant stressed how she set herself apart by taking time to focus on making nice, even parts. It was at that point I was happy to be going to someone who focused on such precision. Later I learned
how much there is a direct correlation with the spacing of the
parts and lock size. Again, I praised God for the blessings bestowed upon me.

The vet lockers also said that overtime, the parts would naturally
become unbalanced to a degree. This is definitely the case for me
now. I have no desire to stress over my shifting parts. I have the
hair texture where I'm lucky they've stayed in place to the degree that they have.

SL folk take a lot of heat for being too obsessed with perfect locks. But the reality of it is, that is one of the unspoken characteristics of Sisterlocks. We all see Dr. C's locks and we are roped into it immediately.

Organic dreads and SL are definitely the opposite extremes of one another. One you don't give a darn about anything and the other you give a darn too much.
So whether it be parts or something else to stress over, I see it as being consistent with being drawn to Sisterlocks.


The day I stop caring about how my locks look, is the day I join
the organic club.